PART I: HOUSEKEEPING
Birthday Late Pass
PART II: SUM-UP for ABOUT ME PAGE
Do you like the About Me page design? What kind of feedback did you get from your “dates”? Do you think you did a great job in introducing yourself with the aid of technology? This will be the most important issue that we are going to deal with this semester– to explore who you are and to open the window for others to know who you are. You will be asked to use multiple ways to explore yourself and the world. This is very important for seniors who are going to find a job, but it is also a good start for freshmen.
Winners for the ABOUT ME PAGE DESIGN/ PRESENTATION
Morgan (Which one?)
PART III: INTRODUCTION to BLOGGING
Have you seen the movie “Julie and Julia”? One of the main characters is a blogger. The reason why she is famous? Because she keeps a blog by trying out the most famous French chef’s recipe. Blogging is a new way to learn more about yourself and the world. In EDIT 2000 this semester, you are required to keep a personal blog mainly in response to the readings, the projects, and ideas we share in this course. You also can keep a journal there to record your learning process. I don’t expect everyone to have blogging in the past, but I am hoping that you will use this space to become a creator of media that others can learn from. Anyone wants to share a blog you like?
Before we talk about the criteria for a well crafted blog posting, let’s take a few minutes and brainstorm the potential benefits of blogging for facilitating communication and collaboration among people. What advantages do you see in blogging versus sending responses directly to the instructor? Who is your audience?
“Chalk Talk”: Blogging/Commenting/Audience/Purpose/Communication/Collaboration
A chalk talk is a silent way of contributing to a class discussion. Draw lines to connect to classmates’ ideas and words to elaborate or express your ideas. You can come to the board more than once. Let’s do a practice first.
PRACTICE: What will you think of when it comes to “fall”?
NOW, what will you think of when it comes to blogging?
PART IV: CREATE YOUR PERSONAL BLOG
First of all, make sure that you go to wordpress.com instead of wordpress.org. They have another site for business (I think). After you create an account, it will ask you to confirm the account via your email.
Once you are in WordPress.com, you need to create a new blog. Choose a name for your blog address– the URL. Once you make the decision, they will ask you to customize your blog. You can name your blog, change the theme, choose the widgets you like…etc.
- Read “Horizon Report (p.3-10)”. The reflection will be due on Sept. 9.
- Read the “Meaningful Learning chapter 1″. The reflection will be due next Monday (Aug. 26).
Here are the requirements and the guiding questions:Requirements:
- Write at least 2 paragraphs (with meaningful sentences) to answer 3 out of the following 4 questions.
- Use multiple images to support your arguments and ideas.
- Post your reflection on your blog by next Monday.
Guiding Questions for the reflection on “Meaningful Learning Chapter 1”
- What is the big idea or takeaway you had from the Meaningful Learning with Technology chapter?Is it a new idea or something you believe already?
- Is there anything that surprises you? What is it?
- Has any ideas in this chapter changed your idea about using technologies in education? What is that idea and why?
- Which of the skills described in this chapter are most important to you as an educator? Which are most important to comprehending and being able to apply ideas in your discipline?
- Have your personal blog ready for Friday’s class.
- If you haven’t submitted your URL of your About Me Page, please do so.
1115 students please click 1115 LINKS
1220 students please click 1220 LINKS
- Make sure you have the electronic file of your first reflection and the images with you this Friday. We will upload the text and the images to the blog as the first post in class this Friday.