Wow! Two weeks off for EDIT 2000. That is a big gap. So, fasten your seat belt!! We will move on in full speed!
PART I: HOUSE KEEPING
- We are not meeting this Thursday. THAT IS A WORK DAY FOR YOU TO WORK ON YOUR PROJECT! Don’t ask me which project you should be doing…because you actually have a lot of projects that you can work on. Please be responsible for your own learning!
- Make-up Day: The university scheduled the Saturday to be the make-up day, but I am not going to use it. We will just shorten the work time in class for the rest of the semester.
PART II: PBS VIDEO DISCUSSION
Each of you need to take one piece of paper and stay with the peers who have the same color. You need to write your own answer to the question posted on the inside of the paper. Please leave your name with your answer! After you finished answering the question, you need to pass your paper to your peers. At the end of the activity, each piece of paper should have answers from every group member. Each group needs to give a one-minute summary talk of your answers to the question to the whole class. Then, I will swap the papers among all the groups. You will take another piece of paper to see other people’s answer to their questions. Then you need to answer the questions on both sides and turn it in.
PART III: WEB 2.0 TOOL COMMERCIAL PROJECT
I still haven’t got all your description about the commercial. Please complete this FORM before you leave the class today if you haven’t!!
You are making this commercial to let others know that they can use this tool to teach others. Therefore, your audience might be other students, teachers, parents…
Think about the tool you want to promote and the way you want to promote it. You kind of need a storyboard or a simple draft presentation. Here are several things that you need to think about the infomercial:
- Who is your audience?
- What are the features of the tool?
- Why would teachers, administrators, parents or even students use this tool?
- How do you draw your audience’s attention?
HOW TO MAKE THE COMMERCIAL?
Some of you will make your commercial similar to a movie trailer. In that case, iMovie template will help you. If you want to borrow the iPad mini from us, please SEND ME AN EMAIL TO LET ME KNOW YOU WANT TO BORROW IT.
Some of you will use still images to compile your commercial. In that case, we can simply use iMovie as well. But some of you mentioned that you want to use still images and the website itself to talk about the tool. In that case, you might need to use screenshot software. What we used before is the free software– JING. It is convenient and easy to use. However, there are several tricks.
First, you need to download Jing and make sure it works. With the free version you can only record 6 minutes or less. We want to stick to less than 3 minutes. You’ll likely want to test out Jing a few times to make sure everything is recording properly.
You can have your tool as the screen image the entire time you are talking about the tool or you can have some PowerPoint slides or other images to use along with the actual tool.
External microphones are great if you don’t have a very loud voice. If you don’t have a microphone or headset, you can check one out from room 232 Aderhold (you’ll need your student ID). If you are not an educational major, they will tell you that you are not eligible to check out any materials. However, you can check anything you want if you show them the course schedule in your Oasis to prove that you are enrolled in EDIT 2000.
Now I am going to talk about how to use Jing. If you miss today’s class, view Jing tutorials here and watch this video to learn how you can create Jing videos. I also made a tutorial before.
ATTENTION for JING:
The most tricky part of Jing is the way to share the videos and you really don’t want to mess up at this point. Otherwise, you need to redo everything. Just remember: DO NOT SAVE THE FILE in .swf FORMAT. Instead, SAVE THE FILE THROUGH SCREENCAST.
Also, when you are waiting for JING to upload your file to Screecast, do not do copy and paste for other projects at the same time. Otherwise, you might lose the link forever.
We will shoot/make/edit the commercial video on Feb. 25 and everyone needs to present the final product on Feb. 27. Remember that you have this Thursday to work with your partner (if you have one or two) to develop the content for the commercial. Don’t come back next Tuesday and tell me that you haven’t thought about it! You know that will lead you to a late assignment grade.
Another thing I want you all to pay attention is to be creative, especially those choose “not so new” tool!
FOR TUESDAY (FEB. 25):
- Start to think about your “Expanding Your Learning Cycle”Project (See description in my previous email).
- Check the reflection topic and start to read the materials.
- Comment on your partner’s blog posts. (I will jump into your discussion starting from this week, because I didn’t see many of you doing the work!)
- Documentation for 20% Design project is due this Friday (Feb.21).
- 3rd reflection is due today (If you haven’t posted, you are already late!)
- Complete the form about your 20% design project and commercial project if you haven’t!
- Finish your commercial by Feb 27.
- Tweet your 20% Design Project topic to #edit2000 and @ JChienUGA